On March 14 and 15, we hosted Open House events, welcoming longtime supporters and community partners to our new Community Center location on Wilshire Boulevard in the heart of Koreatown. At this location, we continue to provide our multi-lingual 24-hour hotline, culturally sensitive counseling services, and community resource referrals.
As we approach 40 years of establishment since our founding in 1978, we reflect on how we have grown as an agency:
- 1978: CPAF establishes the first multi-lingual 24-hour hotline in the United States, assisting Asian & Pacific Islander (API) survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault.
- 1981: CPAF opens the first multi-lingual and multi-cultural domestic violence emergency shelter in the nation to serve the API community.
- 1998: CPAF opens a transitional program, focusing on the needs of survivors who seek to establish independent, violence-free lives.
- 2005: CPAF expands its Community Program, focusing on community engagement and violence prevention programs.
- 2010: CPAF opens its first public Community Center, co-locating with Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles, and expanding CPAF services to non-residential counseling.
- 2016: CPAF relocates its Community Center to Koreatown, easily accessible by car, on foot, and via public transportation.
This year marks yet another significant chapter: our integration with Asian Pacific Women’s Center (APWC). Combining our organizations enhances our ability to provide more comprehensive services to Asians and Pacific Islanders affected by family and intimate partner violence. We will continue carrying out the same vision of ending domestic violence in the Asian and Pacific Islander community under the name Center for the Pacific Asian Family.
CPAF supporters enjoy refreshments with staff.
Shelter Program Director Patima Komolamit describes CPAF’s services, ranging from our 24-hour crisis hotline and intervention services to shelter, prevention and outreach.
Development and External Relations Director Michelle Esperanza engages guests with opportunities for further involvement.
Thank you to all those who attended our Open Houses and to all of our supporters for playing an important role in CPAF’s continual growth. Together, we have truly been able to nurture positive and empowering change.
Click here to view more photos from our Open House and Media Day events.